You will need
(For two people)
- Shrimp 16 (8 each)
- Grits 200g
- Veg Oil Tablespoon
- Bacon (crispy & crumbled) 40g Fennel (finely sliced) 40g
- Spanish Onion 1 small
- Thyme (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 clove Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- 20g Parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Chicken stock 300ml
- Milk (to combine) 200ml
- Double cream 100ml
- Butter (cubed) 50g
- White Wine 20ml
- Lime Juice (fresh) 20ml
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- In a large pan, saute the onion in a tablespoon of oil until translucent, add the garlic & thyme, cook for a further minute, add the white wine and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Pour over 200ml of the chicken stock, add the milk and the cream then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the grits.
- Cook to packet instructions/roughly 30 mins (40 mins if increasing the recipe)
- Stir continuously, making sure not to let it catch in the pan the finish with the butter, gruyere and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate pan, saute the prawns, bacon and fennel, add remainder of stock and lime juice then cook for 2 3 minutes, season and finish with the parsley.
- To serve, spoon grits into bowls, top with the prawns & bacon (allow at least 8 prawns per portion) then ladle over the stock.
Find yourself a sunny porch to sit on (or a table) eat and enjoy!